MARCH’S – ANSWERS
"Hupe" is German for horn.
Starting about 1961, the Beetle's bumper brackets went
from being black to silver.
The first VW Eurovan was a 1993 model.
The Beetle got a passenger side sunvisor in 1961, as
The last Beetle to be built at the original Wolfsburg,
Germany factory was made on July 1, 1974 at 11:19 A.M.
The most famous VW drag race car of all time was the
"Inch Pincher." Actually, there were two. Inch Pincher and
Inch Pincher II. I believe the first one was built from a 1956 model.
They were driven by Darryl Vittone, whose family owned Economy Motors.
I remember reading that one of the cars is lost but has been
replicated and the other still exists in much changed form. If I
recall correctly, they had a major connection to the famous EMPI parts
outfit. This as back in the '60s and '70s,
APRIL’S - New Questions
- What company made the official air-cooled era promo miniatures and in what
- The Porsche 914 was called a VW-Porsche in Europe because it had several
VW components, including the engine. Which engine?
- In what year was the first owner's manual published?
- What VW part is called a "Winker" in German?
- Which is the correct spelling of the German company that made the Type II
Camper - "Westfalia" or "Westphalia?" I've seen BOTH in
the national magazines!
- What do Germans call themselves?
- Answers next month, along with new questions -